This morning at work, I was getting ready to head out to my first class and walked by the recycle bin. On the floor was the oddest piece of felt looking lint I had ever seen. Big too, for a piece of lint. Then it moved.
I looked closer…that was no piece of lint, it was a little tree frog. A Pacific Tree Frog, native-born and in the wrong habitat. A school library does not have much water, cover or food for an amphibian.
I picked him up, he was certainly warm which is why I think he came inside in the first place. It’s getting cold out there and our amphibian friends are looking for a nice, warm, long-lasting bed to sleep away the snows until spring. This poor little certainly did pick the wrong place. He was dry. And covered in hair, lint and dust.
I went to put him outside but noticed that his leg would not completely extend. I took a closer look because as you know a frog that can’t hop is a soon to be dead frog. His leg was ‘connected’ to his body by a piece of hair wrapped around his body and neck. Every time he tried to extend his leg, he choked himself.
I took him back inside and to the bathroom. I used some water to gently wash off all the fuzz and hair and that is probably a good thing, he was drying out as well. The dust has mixed with his natural, shall we call it ‘slime’ although frogs aren’t really slimy, they just have a protective coat on their skin. All this dust and fuzz had dried the poor fellow out. I swear when I washed him and re-hydrated his skin he sighed. Audibly. I’m sure of it.
Then I took him out in the woods and put him in a sunny, but protected spot. I know there will be plenty of winter sleeping accommodations for him to find and now he can hop freely again.
I’m so glad I got to work just a smidge off schedule. Otherwise he’d be limp-hopping around the library and prolly dead by Friday.